Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Module 1

What are your beliefs about how people learn best? What is the purpose of learning theory in educational technology?

My personal belief about how learning takes place within individuals is that we are all different thus we all learn differently. From one of these foundations our preference begins and is shaped and formed, learning through our senses as a basis either visually, auditorally or kinesthetically.
The approach one uses to learning is dependant on how one has come to learn, a certain way it was introduced or ingrained. Knowing how one learns best would be beneficial to one's success as a learner throughout life. Being aware of how we take in and process information can help individuals understand themselves better including what our strengths and weaknesses are.
There will always be times when individuals find themselves in different types of learning enviornments,including the use of technology where there will be a need to adjust in order to help ourselves, so we may do our own personal best and be a successful learner. Learning theories and educational technology are based on the same premises. Also, being exposed to new technologies and given the proper direction and time to manipulate the software/hardware helps in the learning process.

6 comments:

  1. I agree that learning styles are based on the individual. It seems like technology is shaping the way we live life day to day. Do you think that adjustment in the education system should be pushed more by administration? From taking to some educators, I am under the impression that the education system needs to play catch up when it comes to technology in education. How can we determine learning theories in educational technology if we are not teaching the students the most current trends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andree,
    I honestly think the push needs to come from the top down starting with our government and then state legislation on education. I believe the only way to make the changes necessary is to rework education all together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeannine,

    Great post, like you I believe we are all different and learn differently also. I myself find that I learn best through different senses. I use to think that I was auditory and know realize that it is a combination of different senses. I have realized that it depends on what the subject is.

    At what age do you think it is important for students to know their learning style?

    I agree with your comments that being exposed to new technologies and given the proper direction and time to manipulate the software/hardware helps in the learning process. Do you believe that having time to reflect and work with technology leads to a deeper understanding of the technology?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynne,
    I think as soon as students have mastered reading and writing they should find out how they learn best but also think like you they may change over time.
    Yes, reflection is a very important aspect on learning. Taking the time to do this helps with better understanding and meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeannine,

    Thank you. I can't agree with your more. What frustrates me is that some of my students leave me without reading. I think they should stay in a reading class until they can read. What a wonderful world that would be. What is your thought?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lynne,
    I guess as educators we can not understand this, students unfortunately get passed along without strong intervention. I am honestly quite unsure of what needs to be done to address this problem in education today.

    ReplyDelete